Monday, May 11, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

In 2 words: BRILLIANT/BEAUTIFUL

In many words: This is one of the best movies I have seen all year. In fact, this movie is easily in my top 3 favorite movies (The Last Samurai, Lord Of The Rings, and Slumdog Millionaire). Slumdog Millionaire is a story about an orphaned boy who made it onto the T.V. show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. When Jamal is 1 question away from winning 1 Million Rupee's he is arrested and charged with cheating. The police interrogate him (Jack Bauer style) but find out that he knew the answers not because he went to school and had knowledge, but because of where is life led him as a young orphan. The movie flashes back to his youth as he explains how he knew each answer.
Slumdog Millionaire left me feeling sad, happy, entranced, angered, compassionate, free, stunned, delighted, smiling and uplifted. I have not stopped thinking about this movie all weekend and plan on purchasing it soon. I will be watching it often and I look forward to the day when I can share this movie with my kids. The music defiantly helped sell the movie for me, we purchased the soundtrack and have listened to it all weekend.
This movie is rated R because of torture and violence. However, after telling my kids the story of the movie there were 3 scenes I let my children see. I believe that the story was told so beautifully I wanted to share that with my kids. I would not let my children watch the entire show, just enough for them to get the point. My husband and I did have to turn on the subtitles after about 10 minutes of trying to decipher the English. I am glad we did, it really helped us with words we would have otherwise missed. I recommend this movie to any adult who wishes to be inspired.

No comments: