Monday, March 17, 2008

Autism

Let me start by writting about my job, my passion, and my mission. Autism, what is it? It is a comunication disorder that stops children and adults from communicating with the "typical" children and adults. What is Aspergers Syndrome? It is like Autism only these kido's have the ability to use language to talk and converse. However, just because they can use words does not mean they know how to "communicate." :)


With the communication disorder comes a landslide of other issues that hinder children with Autism and Aspergers Syndrome. A few of my favorite are sensory (sight, sound, touch, smell, taste) issues, perspective problems (the world revolves around them or they are the only ones in the world), social sonfusions (why can't I tell people how I really feel?) and problem sovling (how to fix problems without using angry words, hands, or feet).


Why the puzzle piece? To be honest children with Autism and Aspergers Syndrome are a puzzle. In Autism/Aspergers Syndrome there are no 2 children the same. Each day is a different set of problems and hurdles, each day is a different sensory trama, each day is a different "melt down." Just when you think you have it figured out...they do something you weren't expecting. Also, there is not cure. It is a puzzle to figure out how to help these kido's. It is a daily challenge that requires patience and love.

I work at a school called Spectrum Academy. It is a charter school for children grades K-8 with High Functioning Autism and Aspergers Syndrome. I manage the Learning Center at the school and teach P.E. Before working at Spectrum, I worked in the home of a family with a young boy who has Autism. I sort of fell into that job and it became a life changing experience. I feel like it has directed my life down a path that I needed to be on to help my own son deal with his disabilities.
For any of you that do not know someone with Autism or Aspergers Syndrome I have 2 things to say: 1 you are blessed to not have had your life turned upside down by this disorder. And 2 you are missing out on the blessing of knowing these beautiful children and adults. They will open your eyes to see things never imagionable to you before.

For those of you with time on your hands and a willingness to learn things daily research Autism/Aspergers Syndrome, find out what it is and learn something you didn't know before. For those of you that know what Autism/Aspergers Syndrome is or live with someone that has it I give you "props." I love working with children with Autism/Aspergers Syndrome and can imagine doing nothing else. They are a blessing for me and I am grateful that they have accepted me and trust me to enter into their worlds.

2 comments:

Jess said...

awesome way of expressing yourself. no need to kill yourself with a plastic bag. keep it up, I know I'll keep reading.

Marf said...

thanks for your blog stef. I needed to read your comments on autism today. We have been having some family "issues" with dealing with Keith and I just needed to know someone else out there agreed with me on some things! You are amazing and such an inspiration!!