Thursday, March 27, 2008

In Loving Memory

My Grandpa Val Dean Dalling (II) passed away on March 26, 2008. My grandpa is an amazing man who I look up to and hope to be like as I reach "the old ages."
My tribute to him are my memories through the years. When I was young he is the only person I knew that could play baseball without a glove! He caught the ball bare handed! I couldn't believe my eyes (I am sure my dad did the same thing, I just never noticed until Grandpa did it). He became my hero at that moment in time and will be for the remainder of my life! I felt so accomplished when I played ball with my kids and did not use a glove!
Grandpa was sick and in the hospital through the teenage years for me. I spent many days sitting by his bed while my mom took Grandma Dalling for a break. I remember holding his fragile hand and thinking about playing baseball with him. I was honored to be trusted enough to sit with him and "take care of him." And feel the same way in recent years when I was able to take care of him at my Mom's house and at my Aunt Kat's house. I feel like I was able to re-bond with him by serving him when he was in need.
Grandpa has a testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I knew it without a doubt. He bore his testimony every chance he had when his family was present. I have the privilege of hearing him testify of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith. I am grateful for his testimony and his dedication to the Church.
Grandpa loved my Grandma Dalling more than anything. He always carried her (very heavy) purse around family functions so that she could have her hands free to take picture of the family. He never complained about it, just teased her about putting bricks in it.



Grandpa always held the babies. He loved the little grand kids and would hold them and carry them around while the mothers enjoyed the free time to mingle and eat. I have so many pictures of Grandpa holding my children. Those picture are precious to me.
Grandpa was also the "garbage man" at all family functions. When he was not holding a baby he was carrying around the garbage bag and cleaning up the trash. We never had to clean up after the dinner because Grandpa beat us to it.
Grandpa and sports go hand in hand. He gave his time and energy to coaching many of his grand kids and many of other people's kids. He loved all sports and that seems to have passed on to many of his grandchildren and great grandchildren. He coached baseball, basketball, and football at Ricks College and softball at Madison High School. I always wanted to impress him with my sports skills, but I realise now that I didn't need to try he was always impressed and supportive of what ever I did.
I love my Grandpa and will miss him dearly. I am happy that he is reunited with Grandma Dalling and know he is so happy. I can't wait to see him again!






2 comments:

Jess said...

what a nice tribute! I'm sure you are really going to miss him. He sounds like one in a million.

Marf said...

I am so sorry for your loss - but I am so glad that you were able to have such a great relationship with him! He sounded like an amazing man!